Here’s a quick game you can do with your child to reinforce letter recognition and abc order.
- Use ABC letter cards or make your own.
- Scatter the cards on the floor or in a pocket chart (see photo) face up.
- Sing the ABC song with your child.
- Ask your child to identify the first letter in the alphabet. Guide as needed.
- Look for letter A in the pile and place it in the 1st pocket or place it to the top left of your work area.
- Repeat step #4-5 for each letter of the alphabet.
Tip: Remember to give your child the opportunity to try to guess the next letter on his own first. Provide support as needed.
Make the game easier:
Use 2 sets of alphabet cards. Line-up the 1st set of cards in order going left to right. Scatter the 2nd set of abc cards face up below the 1st set. Point to the letter A that is in the 1st set and have your child say the name. Next have your child find the letter A in the 2nd set (the scattered set) and place that card on the A in the 1st set. Repeat for each letter.
Make the game more challenging:
Use lower case letters instead of upper case.
What ABC games does your child enjoy?